[Hardware] Dual-core and/or SMP + Win9x/ME

Nathan Klassen klassenn at uregina.ca
Thu Oct 20 19:48:13 EDT 2005

>> Scenario 4: See scenario 3. You WILL need an OS supporting the amount of
>> CPU's in your system. Note that if you have 2 dual core processors,
>> your OS
>> will need to support 4 CPU's.
>

> I suspected it. Thanks for this verification, it is extremely important.

This is not necessarily true and I'll toss you a few links.
First off not all dual core CPUs support hyperthreading - and beyond
that not all INTEL dual core CPU's support hyperthreading.
Only the 'Extreme Edition' Dual Core's support hyperthreading
http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=870806,868125&familyID=1&culture=en-US
If that comparison link doesn't work review:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium_D/index.htm
and
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

It sort of goes without saying that AMD CPUs aren't hyperthreaded and
therefore don't require an OS with support for 4 CPUs.

Beyond that here is Microsoft on licensing for windows in dual core
environments:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx#E1B

Reference that with this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639
and this statement on hyperthreading:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810231

That "should" mean that XP Home can support a dual core CPU (as it can
support a hyperthreaded CPU) you'd need XP Pro for a Dual Core
Hyperthreaded CPU though. I personally perfer many of the features of XP
Pro and would recommend it anyways.

I found a more verbose statement of this once on Microsoft's webpage but
hell if I can find it again.

Regarding your friend's comments that 98 is a better gaming machine..
that's really a load of crap. Having been involved in beta tests back
that far and having used every iteration of Windows since 3.0 (and a lot
of linux etc on the side) XP really is the best gaming OS to date - its
far from perfect but in terms of stability etc its wonderful. Win 2k
wasn't bad either but good luck getting a hold of a legit version at
this point in time.

Hopefully this has debunked the misinformation you currently have received.

- Nathan