[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Sat Nov 27 19:00:06 EST 1999

vetere :: 27-Nov-1999 00:56 (Saturday) ::

A couple corrections regarding the Mac client:

Large, large amounts of that client were written by Michael Feiri, who
independently constructed it from our publicized source tarball. Also,
it does not after all contain the bitslicing G4 core. That'll be out in
the very, very near future.

So thank Feiri for his work - he's a major force behind this release.

nugget :: 27-Nov-1999 03:10 (Saturday) ::

We've attracted quite a number of offers to assist in debugging the Sybase
problems.  So many, in fact, that I haven't had a chance to respond to
all of them.  Two very talented guys have started going over the code
and Sybase configuration looking for oddities or suspicious configuration
items.  So far, no serious red flags have turned up, but we have decided
on a good number of performance improvements that can be made.

I've spent the past 36 hours continuing to do all the normal repair and
check routines that I'm accustomed to doing.  dropping and rebuilding indexes,
doing checktables and checkdbs.  The "dbcc checktable" on the rc5_64_master
table took just over 12 hours to complete!

Given the serious slowdown brought about by having web access enabled, I've
unfortunately had to conduct most of these repairs and checks with stats
disabled.  I know it's been frustrating.  As of tonight's run (yes, csc stats
are current) I'm still able to do anything, even bcp data into the server,
if the web server is enabled.  This fact makes it impractical to be running
the rc5-64 logs as it would require even more downtime from the server.

Rest assured, we're still prodding and tweaking, looking for the cause of the
problem.  Thanks, as always, for your continued patience and support.

[...]

are current) I'm still unable to do anything, even bcp data into the server,
if the web server is enabled.  This fact makes it impractical to be running
the rc5-64 logs as it would require even more downtime from the server.

Rest assured, we're still prodding and tweaking, looking for the cause of the
problem.  Thanks, as always, for your continued patience and support.

vetere :: 27-Nov-1999 19:24 (Saturday) ::

Beta Two of the Mac OS dnetc has arrived. This version sports improved
yielding code (it runs faster in the background) and a Halt command in
the File menu.

http://nodezero.distributed.net/~vetere/dnetc-macos-beta.sit

That URL wil be kosher for all remaining betas.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net