[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Thu Oct 7 21:00:02 EDT 1999

nugget :: 07-Oct-1999 15:37 (Thursday) ::

OK, It looks like x-empt was right...  There's definitely a problem in
stats that's preventing new participants from being properly added to the
database.  You've probably noticed that the past several days have shown
"(and 0 of them are brand-new)" on the main rc5-64 stats page.

The strange aspect to this is that not only has the code in question not
changed, but when I run the sql manually I'm unable to reproduce the
problem.

I just ran the sql code by hand on the 6-Oct daytables and it added
the new 6-Oct participants in without a hitch.  Yet for some reason when
that exact same code ran last night during the update, it didn't work.
Very odd.

So far, all I've done is just add a bunch of logging to the suspect code
to see if I can isolate the exact spot where it's falling down.  It
just doesn't make any sense.

I'm going to kick off a re-ranking, which is necessary for the affected
emails to be searchable and appear in on the stats web site.  One
side-effect of a re-ranking is that the ranking offsets (the green and red
numbers showing your change from the day before) will all be affected by
this.

I'll post more information as I figure out what's going on.  There's no
reason to assume that the code will start working tonight, I'm just hoping
to get a few clues on why it's failing.

dbaker :: 07-Oct-1999 20:58 (Thursday) ::

I fixed (okay, I rewrote most of it, too) the distributed.net rc5-list
web moderation tool, so rc5-list users should start receiving the normal
flow of posts again.

I've been working on recovering the lost blocks from the September incidents.
If all goes well, users should expect to see those blocks in the next day
or two.

I'll post more information when it becomes available.  I'll also have some
more information about new ftp and www redundancy too in the next week.  I'm
just a nifty guy, eh?

Daniel

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net