[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Fri Sep 24 21:00:01 EDT 1999

decibel :: 24-Sep-1999 01:40 (Friday) ::

Well, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that
I think we found out what was causing the major slowdown on
stats-box (yesterday's stats-run took about 20 hours to complete,
obviously not a good thing }:8( ).

Working off of a NuggetHunch, I've disabled the participant history
functions. It's too soon to tell for sure, but this seems to have
brought the currently running update back up to normal speed. Of
course, this means that you can't check your history right now.

The good news is that if this is the problem, we can probably
cure it by adding memory to the box (256 meg ECC DIMMS, for those
of you in a generous mood };8P ). The current theory is that the
history query is killing our caching, since it has to sift through
all ~20 million records in the main rc5 table.

We should be able to tell in a few hours if this actually solved
the problem or not. Thanks for your patience!

nugget :: 24-Sep-1999 14:52 (Friday) ::

There is something quite unhealthy on statsbox at the moment which is
causing daily updates to take an extremely long time to complete.  Last
night we disabled the phistory queries to see if that would alleviate the
problem, and it didn't seem to help.  I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to
really take a close look at the issue.  In the meantime, we're going to
temporarily start restricting access to stats during portions of the
update.

I'll post more as I know what's going on.  It might turn out to be
something simple...  no way to know yet.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net