[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Mon Jan 10 19:00:07 EST 2000

moose :: 10-Jan-2000 01:56 (Monday) ::

The following clients have been updated/added:

- Windows 95/98/NT [x86/Zipped]

Thanks for your patience.

See http://www.distributed.net/download/updates.html for updates by
date.

See http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.html for updates by
System.

Changes:
2.8005.453  chg: client supports thresholds either as a time-factor, or
                 as a workunit-factor. -config documentation has more info.
                 A review of your settings is *strongly* advised.

2.8004.452  chg: all: .ini option spin off from the generic [parameters]
                 section into subsections is now complete. phew! Nothing
                 left except "id".
            chg: reverted log file opening on win/dos/netware/os2 to
                 non-shared.

Enjoy!
moose

moose :: 10-Jan-2000 23:08 (Monday) ::

The following client was updated.  NT service problems were corrected.

- Windows 95/98/NT [x86/Zipped]

See http://www.distributed.net/download/updates.html for updates by
date.

See http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.html for updates by
System.

silby :: 10-Jan-2000 23:53 (Monday) ::

Although I'm saddened to say so, this will be my final plan update
as a distributed.net staff member (though for historical reasons
I do hope my plan archive will be maintained.)

In my absence over the past few months, I've tried to observe
distributed.net from the outside in order to determine if it is
an organization I really wish to devote my time to.  After much
study, I determined that it is not.

My observations indicate that distributed.net has fallen into the
pattern set by Microsoft: Ensure that all important code is kept
private so that competitors will not gain advantage, and viciously
attack competitors.  This strategy has unfortunately had the same
effect it has on Microsoft; late to market products with sometimes
disasterous bugs.

While there are undoubtedly positive aspects of distributed.net
I'm missing, the end result is that distributed.net has not
become what I have dreamed.  I had always thought that it would
grow from a group of people who compete in encryption contests into
a group who creates tools which allow anyone to create their own
distributed networks.  While becoming a standard tool like
apache/bind/sendmail may have been too lofty of a dream, I'm
still disappointed that no efforts have been made to push in that
direction.

Nonetheless, I'm sure distributed.net will have a long future,
and I wish the remaining staff good luck.  I simply don't see myself
fitting into the organization any longer.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net