[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Sat Jan 15 19:00:03 EST 2000

moose :: 14-Jan-2000 23:11 (Friday) ::

The following clients have been updated/added:

- Linux [s390/glibc2.0] v2.8005.454

Happy Cracking
moose

nugget :: 14-Jan-2000 22:02 (Friday) ::

Have you tried checking under the mat?

bwilson :: 13-Jan-2000 19:18 (Thursday) ::

With Decibel and Nugget's help, I have put together a new version of psearch
for CSC.  We expect this version to lighten the load on tally, because more
of the "meat" is written in SQL.  Please test it and let me know what you
find.  Point your browser at

http://stats-bwilson.distributed.net/csc/

then enter your search-text (under Participant) and hit Search.  (The
project summary information you'll see is static - it won't keep up with
tonight's stats-run).

Some highlights:

*  Searches will return up to 50 rows, sorted in rank order.  If more than
   50 rows match the search, the 50 highest-ranked matches will be shown.

*  Characters which Sybase interprets as wildcards ('%' and '_') are now
   treated as literal characters.  Before, if you included one of these
   characters in your search, Sybase would treat them as wildcards, making
   it harder to find some e-mail addresses.  Don't worry if you were using
   this feature - I've included the ability to pass them through in the
   future.

*  You must type at least three characters to search.  Regrettably, we can't
   justify allowing people to search for all e-mail addresses containing '@'
   or 'e'.  If you search for 'com', you'll get what you deserve, but three
   characters should be enough to search for '.fi' or other country codes.

*  If your search contains an @ character, the database will be scanned
   first using "begins-with" logic, on the assumption that you probably
   typed an entire e-mail address.  If that search does not produce data,
   the search will be performed again using "contains" logic.

I plan to allow testing until after the stats run on Friday so you can even
test *during* the stats run.  Please send your comments to
bwilson at distributed.net (you can copy decibel and nugget if you like).

bovine :: 13-Jan-2000 08:05 (Thursday) ::

I've placed a new version of the Java Log Visualizer (v1.1) on the
mirrors, so you should be able to download it off of the add-ons page.
This new version features a number of user-interface and log parsing
corrections.  Of course full Java source code is included.

vetere :: 11-Jan-2000 01:09 (Tuesday) ::

Now that -453 is out, and a number of the most troubling bugs have been
squashed, we've issued a press release concerning the Mac client. You
can find it here:

http://www.distributed.net/pressroom/press-2000-jan-11-macclient.txt

For download URLs to the new clients, see Moose's plan.

dbaker :: 07-Jan-2000 09:47 (Friday) ::

I've gotten a very large number of emails asking for clarification
on the distributed.net reissuing policy and for details about
the precise amount of blocks being reissued.  I have been distributing
this form letter:

Greetings!

Thanks for your email regarding my post[1] or about CSC being shown
as more than 100% complete on the statistics page[2].

It is perhaps a common misconception that each CSC work unit
completed is unique.  With a short contest like CSC, we have
implemented special keymaster code to use complex tests to verify
the authenticity and validity of each work unit submitted.  Malicious
users could conceivably run a tampered version of the distributed.net
client to gain an unfair advantage in statistics and rankings.  In
order to test an experimental method of attempting to uncover and
disqualify these users, it was decided that certain CSC work units
would periodically reassigned work done by suspect users to random
clients to ensure that our work is not compromised.  As an unfortunate
result, work is duplicated.

There is no question that this method of project security is
suboptimal.  We are aware of the flaws of this method and are
working to develop a new generation of clients that can produce
secure and reliable results.  Jeff Lawson, distributed.net project
leader, has written an explanation[3] of all of the considered
methods.  Distributed.net users can expect to see one or more of
these methods utilized in future clients and contests.

The method used by the keymaster to decide which blocks should be
flagged for reissuing is fairly complex and varies depending on a
variety of factors.  At this point in the contest, we generally
have been reissuing between 9.1% to 11.5% of received blocks.

It is distributed.net policy to give users credit for all legitimate
work completed, regardless of whether it's virgin work or reassigned
work.  Accordingly, the completed percentage showed on the statistics
server represents both virgin and reissued work units, so it's
possible that we go beyond 105% completion.

Every key in the keyspace has an equal chance of being "the" key.
Statistically speaking, it was unlikely that we reached this far
in the keyspace without finding the success key.  However, this is
no indication that we will not find the key.  We are just as likely
to find the key as we ever were.

I apologize if I didn't address your issue specifically.  I receive
hundreds of messages a day, and that load is growing exponentially
as we get further and further beyond 100% in CSC.  If you need
general distributed.net support, please contact help at distributed.net.
Otherwise, can you resubmit your message to me.

Thanks for your continued support.  Good luck.

Daniel Baker <dbaker at distributed.net>
distributed.net project leader

[1] http://www.distributed.net/cgi-bin/dnet-finger.cgi?user=dbaker
[2] http://stats.distributed.net/csc/
[3] http://www.distributed.net/source/specs/opcodeauth.html

decibel :: 07-Jan-2000 07:18 (Friday) ::

Ok, everything on CSC should be all set again, hopefully just
in time for us to announce that it's over tomorrow };8)

(NO, this does NOT mean we found the key yet!) }:8)

chrisb :: 22-Dec-1999 18:38 (Wednesday) ::

I've just uploaded a new x86/Solaris client, which has the MMX CSC core, as
well as being multithreaded (fixes bug #450). I also uploaded a v311 x86/
Solaris personal proxy, which is CSC compatible.

Hopefully they'll become available soon.

myshkin :: 06-Dec-1999 22:47 (Monday) ::

The glibc2.0, nomt linux-ppc client is on the FTP sites.

A glibc2.1 mt client will hopefully follow shortly, but I need to
upgrade my build machine first. I won't be incorporating the AltiVec
cores until binutils supports AltiVec.

ivo :: 18-Nov-1999 00:14 (Thursday) ::

Wow, it sure has been a long time since I updated this plan.
Seems CSC is rolling allright! That's why I took another look
at fetch at distributed.net and flush at distributed.net.
They now accept CSC blocks to flush and if you want to fetch
CSC buffers add "contest=csc" to your request.

nitehawk :: 17-Nov-1999 20:54 (Wednesday) ::

Well... I've been idle for long enough now.  I'm currently in the
process of getting the csc stats pages together while nugget gets the
backend scripts together.  Assuming all goes well, we could have CSC
stats by tonite or tomorrow's stats run.

daa Ģ

sludwig :: 06-Oct-1999 22:06 (Wednesday) ::

The newest installer for the Win32 CLI client, that Bovine
mentioned in his recent .plan, has a few new additions to
help those of you that are use to the Win32 GUI.

This new installer gives you the option to install links
to the more common command line options; -config, -help,
and -shutdown on the Start Menu.  For those of you that
install the client hidden, you can opt to not install
*anything* to the Start Menu.

It also puts these links, actually short-cuts with the
options built into the shortcut, into the directory that
you install the client to.

This new installer also gives you the option to put the
client in the Startup Group along with the option to have
the client start from the runservices line, hidden.
The Startup Group addition lets you start the client
minimized to the systray, not unlike the old GUI.

I hope these additions to the CLI installer helps those of
you that are having a hard time adjusting from the Win32
GUI to the Win32 CLI.

Scott Ludwig

remi :: 03-Oct-1999 16:32 (Sunday) ::

Hi all,

As you may know, we have a glibc problem with x86 Linux clients. If
the client is statically linked with glibc 2.0, it can't resolve
host names under glibc 2.1. And vice-versa.
Previously, we had 'solved' the problem by providing two clients, one
for glibc 2.0 and another for glibc 2.1. This is confusing for most
people.

I want you to beta-test another client. This v444 client was build
and linked against glibc 2.1.1 on a SuSE 6.2 system, but this time is
was dynamically linked. I think this should solve the problem, but I
need people to test this client to be sure.
I'm particularly interested in beta-testers on glibc *2.0*
systems. Tell me if it works on your machine or if it doesn't, but
please include as much details as you can in either case.

Here's the url :
http://nodezero.distributed.net/~remi/rc5des444-linux-x86-elf-mt-glibc2.tar.gz
and the GnuPG signature :
http://nodezero.distributed.net/~remi/rc5des444-linux-x86-elf-mt-glibc2.tar.gz.asc

Note to i386 & i486 users : You will see a slight drop in performance
because we can't link the 386/486 self-modifying core in a dynamic
client. If you want the best performance, you should stick with the
443 client.
We will continue to include this 386/486 self-modifying core in future
a.out and libc5 clients.

gregh :: 20-Sep-1999 05:57 (Monday) ::

Finally, some OGR news! An OGR test master is now operational. For the
latest news, see:

  http://www.distributed.net/~gregh/ogr-todo.html

cdy :: 02-Sep-1999 14:26 (Thursday) ::

Distributed.Net rox.

alde :: 23-Aug-1999 15:12 (Monday) ::

Ok, I fixed the Athlon's spelling on the submit form, and so far have 2
submissions:

Operating System: DOS (MSDOS/PCDOS/etc.) --
CPU Type        : AMD K7 (Althion) --
CPU Speed       : 600 Mhz -- nomal
Client Running  : Bovine v2.7100 (RC5) --
Client Speed    : 2,011,659,59

Operating System: Linux --
CPU Type        : AMD K7 (Althion) -- <- Athlon!
CPU Speed       : 500 Mhz --
Client Running  : Bovine v2.7106 (RC5) --
Client Speed    : 1.517.000,00

I would put the 600 as an outlyer, but the 500 looks to be valid.

(I haven't seen one live to be a viable source of data on the Athlon.)

--Pete

jfc :: 22-Jul-1999 02:04 (Thursday) ::

Here's to keep you updated on what I've been up to lately. I have been pretty
busy getting translated versions of the web site up online for our non English-
speaking users. Our team of translators has been stunningly efficient in
translating pages in many different languages, including Russian, French,
Dutch, German, and more to come, such as Danish, Italian, Spanish
and Portuguese. Many thanks go to them.

At first, the way things were handled is that users' browser language
preferences were taken into account to serve them the 'most suitable' version
of the web site. It soon enough proved to not be a very effective way of
offering multilingual pages. That's why as of yesterday, the translated pages
are only accessible via the links that are present at the top of each page.
Everything should now default back to English in any case.

Sorry about the temporary inconvenience that some of you may have experienced
over the past two weeks. Thanks.

sampo :: 29-Jun-1999 23:42 (Tuesday) ::

update time again.  several bugs were found in the last release, and most are fixed.
try out the latest client (1.6.3b2) at the download locations below.  Anyone who
downloaded the previous beta is strongly advised to upgrade.  Keep the bug reports
coming.  thank you.

http://web.triton.net/sampo/rc5des.PPC.sit [251k stuffit 5.x format]
http://web.triton.net/sampo/rc5des.PPC.bin.gz [243k gzip'd macbinary]

davehart :: 28-Jun-1999 18:12 (Monday) ::

Banners submitted in the last 6 months have finally been processed
and moved into circulation.  For instructions on adding a d.net
banner ad to your web site, check out

http://www.distributed.net/banners/recruit.html

To see all the banner ads currently in rotation on one glorious page,
and probably inflate your browser memory footprint to 20MB or so, see:

http://www.distributed.net/banners/all.cgi

As always, your 400x40 .gif or .jpg banner ad submissions are welcome
via anonymous ftp to upload.distributed.net's incoming directory.
Please upload a .txt file with your name and email address, so we
can give credit on /banners/.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in processing submitted banner
ads, the volunteer who previously handled this has been away from
distributed.net and no one thought of it until it was mentioned
in #distributed channel on EFnet IRC.

Dave Hart

alex :: 27-Jun-1999 17:56 (Sunday) ::

No plans at the moment

pice :: 06-May-1999 04:24 (Thursday) ::

    As users of the newer (440+) win32cli client may have noticed, many of
the features that have been requested by users of this list have already
been implemented. Work has begun on a remote administration feature and we
would like some feedback on this, please send your suggestions by May 14th
to rc5 at lists.distributed.net. You can also check
http://www.distributed.net/~pice/console for current status.

    This program will actually be three programs,

    1-client
        It will be change so that it can receive request for changing *some*
of its config info, among then we can have:
            block size
            network setting
            log options
            blocks processed
            overall keyrate
            <name your suggestion>
        One item will *not* be allowed to be changed:email, please do not
ask.

    2-node program
        It will act like a really to handle config info generated by the
console and sent to a client
        It will act like relays  to handle config info to be sent to the
client and no contest info like blocks.

    3-management console
        So that the user can check/change client configuration working like
a config info server

    How will it work ?

    The client will connect from time to time to one of the nodes and check
if there is a console requesting communication with it. If such a console is
found the config process is started. Clients connected all the time and
without any firewall problem can inform the node this status and just wait
until something arrives for it.
    Of course all this communication will be encrypted so that you cannot
request a client that is not yours to change any info!

peterd :: 19-Feb-1999 03:16 (Friday) ::

I'm working on the Mac client.  Right now I'm concentrating on optimizing
the scheduling code, including making it work with the next release of
the MacOS, and making the settings to control scheduling much easier
to use.  I also do the BeOS client builds.

peter :: 13-Feb-1999 22:26 (Saturday) ::

Statsbox2 is now installed and running in its new home, allowing
Nugget to resume preparations for putting it into service.

grub :: 05-Feb-1999 17:29 (Friday) ::

watch this space
It'll be Insanely Great...

fordbr :: 17-Jan-1999 12:18 (Sunday) ::

Re-wrote S-box 3 and modified slightly S-Boxes 1, 2, 6 and 8 for
DES MMX.

Should give a 4% speedup.

cyp :: 27-Dec-1998 02:48 (Sunday) ::

Well, not much is new code wise. I wrote a little snippet so that the win32
"cli" client minimizes to the task bar, and (also a "RuleR" suggestion)
added long block benchmarking as a right-click option.

deathboy :: 04-Dec-1998 22:18 (Friday) ::

plan, what plan .. I have no plan!

chipper

blast :: 05-Oct-1998 22:28 (Monday) ::

Been working on fixing the -help "bug" that I've had in
my last trees, I think I nailed it now, not entirely sure, I'll have
to do some testing. Got the new 68k cores working a small
while back, they're awesome, hope I can release something soon.

Had a go with compiling the perproxy for AmigaOS. Let's just
say it doesn't compile yet and leave it at that.
The AmigaOS specific parts are what they were in the 2.005 clients,
and those that remember those days also remember that I rewrote
a lot of AmigaOS code which made the client nicer (imho). Guess
I'll have to start moving code from the client tree (AmigaOS specific
code only of course) or rewriting those parts anew. I'll see what I'll
do. I'm working on it regardless...

My own domain is now fully operational and reverse name lookups
also work as they should now.

paulf :: 25-Sep-1998 14:47 (Friday) ::

Whatever.

tomn :: 25-Sep-1998 05:20 (Friday) ::

Yould Bay!

[...]

dbaker :: 15-Jan-2000 08:13 (Saturday) ::

Re: http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/planarc.cgi?user=nugget&plan=2000-01-14.22:01

Yep, and I didn't find any fake rocks around the keymaster.  Hrm, pout.

bwilson :: 15-Jan-2000 14:50 (Saturday) ::

The updated psearch for CSC was activated last night at about 00:00 Indiana/Alabama
time.  Apart from an initial hesitation (which might be attributable to the RC5-64
stats run) it seems to be running fine.  Please let me know if you discover
otherwise.  Thanks to all those who tested it out.  The link from my previous .plan
is now going away.

I'm planning to make the same change for RC5-64 in the near future, to keep the two
projects as similar as possible.  Team searches will have to wait, I'm afraid.  I'm
starting to direct my efforts to some client architecture issues.

Not to get all "gushy" or anything, but I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone
who has stuck with us through some unexpected side-trips.  distributed.net is
nothing without the huge numbers of volunteers who load and run the clients.  The
trust you put in us is the real foundation of what we're building.  I hope we can
continue to deserve that trust in the years to come.

Now, wipe that tear from your eye, and let's find those keys!

Moo!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net