[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Fri Jul 14 21:00:03 EDT 2000

moose :: 14-Jul-2000 00:36 (Friday) ::

The following clients have been updated/added:

- Windows 95/98/NT [x86/Installer]  v2.8010.463b

By Date: http://www.distributed.net/download/updates.html

By Sys: http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.html

Changes.txt: http://www.distributed.net/download/changes.txt

Enjoy!

nugget :: 14-Jul-2000 03:17 (Friday) ::

Just tossing this inconsequential plan update in the middle of all the
more relevant news regarding ogr...  I finally got the filter set up to
strip out all the gazillions of blocks done by the trojan client that used
my email address.  It was a fun ride while it lasted, but I'm back down
to my natural keyrate now.  (and pretty much entirely converted to ogr,
too)

nugget :: 14-Jul-2000 03:17 (Friday) ::

Just tossing this inconsequential plan update in the middle of all the
more relevant news regarding ogr...  I finally got the filter set up to
strip out all the gazillions of blocks done by the trojan client that used
my email address.  It was a fun ride while it lasted, but I'm back down
to my natural keyrate now.  (and pretty much entirely converted to ogr,
too)

Oh, and congratulations to jenson at medisg.stanford.edu whose PPC Mac turned
in the first ogr block at 22:54:57 13-July-2000.

bovine :: 14-Jul-2000 07:19 (Friday) ::

A common question that I've been asked is what size the client actually
uses when you leave the block size setting at its default value of "-1".
As it turns out, the built-in default is 2^30.  You can see this by checking
the PREFERREDBLOCKSIZE_DEFAULT that is defined in client.h in the public
client source code.

However, even when you leave the client configured to the default size of
"-1" (or configure a larger block size), it is still possible for you to
receive the small 2^28 sized blocks.  If that is the case then there is
nothing for you to be concerned about, since the servers would already be
trying to assign you a block size that most closely matches your request.
Receiving blocks smaller than what your client requests is frequently
common because that is the only block size available after the heavy
key-space fragmentation of so many other people explicitly requesting
smaller sized 2^28 blocks.

And just a reminder for anyone that may have too busy with all of the
recent activities and forgotten...  July 15th is Cow Appreciation Day!
Blue-mountain offers us the following description: Started in Woodstock,
Vermont, Cow Appreciation Day involves many cow-related activities, such
as butter and ice cream making lessons, and dairy education programs. For
those unable to attend, it's an excellent time to reflect on the important
role that cows play in all our lives.
http://www.bluemountain.com/eng3/susie/UNHudderly.html

decibel :: 14-Jul-2000 07:55 (Friday) ::

Just in case anyone is wondering where the rc5 stats are, we started the
statsrun late due to work on OGR stats. The run also seems to be taking
more time than normal, possibly due to OGR contest start today. They should
be up by morning though.

bovine :: 14-Jul-2000 12:41 (Friday) ::

I've updated the client speed pages to all output more concise results by
averaging all data for a single CPU/MHz combination.  Additionally, the
standard deviation and a percentage representation of the stddev relative
to the avg is also displayed, to allow the entries with particularly bogus
entries to be more easily spotted.  Check it out and add your client's
benchmarked speeds today!  http://n0cgi.distributed.net/speed/

moose :: 14-Jul-2000 20:31 (Friday) ::

The following proxies have been updated/added:

- Windows 95/98/NT/2000 (x86) [318]

See the list at: http://www.distributed.net/download/proxies.html

This version will tell clients v2.8008.459 and before that the OGR contest
is closed. More Proxies will be coming shortly.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net