[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Sun Jul 23 21:00:01 EDT 2000

nugget :: 23-Jul-2000 02:59 (Sunday) ::

Thanks to Wim ten Have and the dedicated, industrious folks at Sybase,
we're getting closer to being able to deploy statsbox as a FreeBSD machine.
Earlier this week, Sybase re-released their Sybase ASE for Linux with a
relaxed license that allows it to be run on a FreeBSD machine using Linux
ABI compatibility.  Plus -- the really big deal -- native libs for FreeBSD
which allows us to compile php and all that stuff.

I've spent much of today setting up a scrub installation on a box at my
house and so far it looks quite promising.  A few hiccups with sqsh and
I still don't have php talking, but it's close.

There's no other full-featured sql server around that's free for both
development and deployment.  It's a hell of a deal.

http://www.sybase.com/linux/ase/

(and, since some of those links are broken)

http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,3151,1009264,00.html

(Just to be clear, I'm really enthused about this recent development.
 We certainly don't get anything for endorsing Sybase.               )

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net