[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Thu Mar 30 19:00:03 EST 2000

decibel :: 29-Mar-2000 07:58 (Wednesday) ::

Ahhh-ha!

*SQUISH!*

That's the sound of me (hopefully) finding and squashing the bug that was
causing the statsrun to occasionally die. The query that does the append
into the master table was setup in such a way that if a person was on two
teams, then it would attempt to add two records to the master table, each
one containing blocks for the two different teams. Of course, you can't
actually belong to two teams, so normally this shouldn't be a problem.
BUT, if someone happened to switch teams while this query was running,
then the query could end up thinking you were on two teams. You would also
have to have submitted blocks on at least two occasions during the previous
day (I believe the query was essentially processing the data on an
hour-by-hour basis).

Hopefully you can understand why this was so difficult to track down. }:8)

complex :: 23-Mar-2000 04:35 (Thursday) ::

Hello! My name is Anthony 'complex' Elizondo. I've been with distributed.net
for about 6 months, doing mostly things that would be too boring to note
here.

My official title at distributed.net is officially Logistics Coordinator.
What it means is I mostly keep track of little things that tend to be
forgotten about, like accounting for distributed.net hardware donated and
in use across the world. It also entails finding people who might be able
to help distributed.net.

Right now decibel and bwilson are keeping stats running, but look forward
to revamping it to include multiple concurrent project statistics, greater
efficiency, and personalized stats pages. One area in which help is needed
is PHP coding. What follows is a job description for Lead Stats PHP Coder.
I encourage anyone with a bit of free time and the appropriate skills to
apply. Also, please pass this along to anybody you know who may be
interested. Resumes and cover letters may be e-mailed to
complex at distributed.net and/or decibel at distributed.net.

Lead PHP Stats Coder

development overall.

We are seeking someone who is highly skilled in PHP development. Immediate
need is to overhaul all of our PHP scripts to make them compatible with
a new database format, and to make them more maintainable. Long-range goal
is more features and a common set of PHP code across all of our projects.

Requirements: Experience with PHP required. Basic knowledge of HTML,
advanced knowledge (CSS, forms) desirable. Knowledge of SQL a plus.
Comfortable with peer review and brainstorming.

Commitment: 2-6 hours a week.

bovine :: 20-Mar-2000 05:28 (Monday) ::

A few users have expressed interest in finding out the latest status of
the clients, and I'm glad to say that we are getting very close to being
able to release the next batch of clients and proxies.  Although we've
had the OGR specific problems addressed for quite awhile, we've been taking
the opportunity to try to address as many of the other feedback issues
that have been received over the last few months.  The upcoming client
release is currently undergoing internal beta testing and we hope to have
more details about their release shortly.

moose :: 20-Mar-2000 05:24 (Monday) ::

Ok...

Final internal client/proxy testing is going on.  We are hoping to have
an open beta here soon. Please don't mail me asking when, pay attention
to the web site.

thebigo :: 10-Mar-2000 00:06 (Friday) ::

Hello, I'm the new guy. I've been asked to 'come aboard' to help with a
new aspect of distributed.net stats. I'm not saying too much about it now
but as things start to pull together I'll begin to let out some more
details of exactly what kind of project I'm working on.

janacek :: 19-Jan-2000 19:35 (Wednesday) ::

This is a very brief first .plan after a night of setting things up, thankfully everything seems to be working nicely :)

My new job is the distributed.net web site and my first real .plan will be posted in a day or two after I've had a chance to go through all of it in detail and become more familiar with the operational and and administrative aspects. Please e-mail me any questions, comments and suggestions.

nugget :: 23-Feb-2000 19:43 (Wednesday) ::

Statsbox will be offline briefly while we add new drives.  Thanks for your
patience.

davehart :: 23-Feb-2000 09:36 (Wednesday) ::

The OGR-24 search has been suspended as of 07:15 UTC 23 Feb 2000.

We will restart it later.  For more information including how to speed
the return to rc5, see:

http://www.distributed.net/ogr/suspended.txt

Thanks for your participation.

myshkin :: 17-Feb-2000 08:53 (Thursday) ::

I can belatedly announce the release of dnetc458-linux-ppc-static-mt.  A
few notes:

* Built on MkLinux-pre-R1 with gcc 2.95.3 and statically linked against
  glibc2.1.3. Hopefully there are no resolver issues, although, now that
  I've upgraded, I no longer have a glibc2.0 machine on which to test.

* This is the first mt linux-ppc port.

* No AltiVec support. I won't be able to add AltiVec support to the client
  until the kernel supports AltiVec. This support appears to be far from
  ready, although admittedly I don't follow the kernel development lists
  that closely.

daa :: 15-Feb-2000 10:56 (Tuesday) ::

lots of OGR updates:
  added live rate info to projects and www.distributed.net/index.html
  added ogr to /statistics/index.html added rate generation scripts to n0
  setup

gregh :: 15-Feb-2000 06:46 (Tuesday) ::

Well, it's been a long haul but OGR is finally live! Thanks for everybody's
support while we worked out all the last bugs. We now have a client that
works with contests other than cryptography challenges, which itself is
worth lots.

Good luck!

bwilson :: 13-Feb-2000 02:30 (Sunday) ::

Two quick updates on stats.

I'm working on enabling stats for OGR.  It's not as simple as it sounds,
because there's no 100% we can measure ourselves against.  There's also
a lot more work units than any of our crypto contests to this point.  I'm
out of town Sunday until Tuesday at a conference for my day-job.  Don't
know how much I'll get done while I'm out.  Just to let you know what to
expect, it's very possible we won't have OGR stats until OGR-24 is finished
- it's a very short OGR ruler.  You have my word, you'll get them, even
if it's after the fact.

I've been made aware that participant stats for Feb 10 are missing.  I
can't do much until Nugget returns after this weekend, but I'm confident
we'll get them back.  Don't worry, none of your work has been lost.
Remember, the real RC5-64 work happens before stats sees anything.

ivo :: 11-Feb-2000 16:38 (Friday) ::

.plan mailings are up again!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can have the daily updates
from dcti-staff (like this one) mailed to you every night.  Send mail to
majordomo at lists.distributed.net with "subscribe plans" in the body of the
message to enable these mailings.

jfc :: 22-Jan-2000 18:55 (Saturday) ::

It's been ages since I last updated my .plan but work is still very much
ongoing for me here. For those of you who are curious about the behind the
scene details on what's happening with the multilingual web site, I put
together a brief set of pages to keep you informed.

http://www.distributed.net/~jfc/translations/

vetere :: 16-Jan-2000 21:03 (Sunday) ::

I have just resigned from distributed.net.

Please understand that the organization has done nothing to prompt this.
I am leaving for purely personal reasons, which I'd rather not discuss
publicly, and have no hard feelings whatsoever towards the organization
or any of its members.

Keep on cracking.

dbaker :: 16-Jan-2000 07:17 (Sunday) ::

We won, guys.

See http://www.distributed.net/pressroom/dbaker-csc.html for more information.

Thanks for all your support.

Daniel

chrisb :: 22-Dec-1999 18:38 (Wednesday) ::

I've just uploaded a new x86/Solaris client, which has the MMX CSC core, as
well as being multithreaded (fixes bug #450). I also uploaded a v311 x86/
Solaris personal proxy, which is CSC compatible.

Hopefully they'll become available soon.

nitehawk :: 17-Nov-1999 20:54 (Wednesday) ::

Well... I've been idle for long enough now.  I'm currently in the
process of getting the csc stats pages together while nugget gets the
backend scripts together.  Assuming all goes well, we could have CSC
stats by tonite or tomorrow's stats run.

sludwig :: 06-Oct-1999 22:06 (Wednesday) ::

The newest installer for the Win32 CLI client, that Bovine
mentioned in his recent .plan, has a few new additions to
help those of you that are use to the Win32 GUI.

This new installer gives you the option to install links
to the more common command line options; -config, -help,
and -shutdown on the Start Menu.  For those of you that
install the client hidden, you can opt to not install
*anything* to the Start Menu.

It also puts these links, actually short-cuts with the
options built into the shortcut, into the directory that
you install the client to.

This new installer also gives you the option to put the
client in the Startup Group along with the option to have
the client start from the runservices line, hidden.
The Startup Group addition lets you start the client
minimized to the systray, not unlike the old GUI.

I hope these additions to the CLI installer helps those of
you that are having a hard time adjusting from the Win32
GUI to the Win32 CLI.

Scott Ludwig

remi :: 03-Oct-1999 16:32 (Sunday) ::

Hi all,

As you may know, we have a glibc problem with x86 Linux clients. If
the client is statically linked with glibc 2.0, it can't resolve
host names under glibc 2.1. And vice-versa.
Previously, we had 'solved' the problem by providing two clients, one
for glibc 2.0 and another for glibc 2.1. This is confusing for most
people.

I want you to beta-test another client. This v444 client was build
and linked against glibc 2.1.1 on a SuSE 6.2 system, but this time is
was dynamically linked. I think this should solve the problem, but I
need people to test this client to be sure.
I'm particularly interested in beta-testers on glibc *2.0*
systems. Tell me if it works on your machine or if it doesn't, but
please include as much details as you can in either case.

Here's the url :
http://nodezero.distributed.net/~remi/rc5des444-linux-x86-elf-mt-glibc2.tar.gz
and the GnuPG signature :
http://nodezero.distributed.net/~remi/rc5des444-linux-x86-elf-mt-glibc2.tar.gz.asc

Note to i386 & i486 users : You will see a slight drop in performance
because we can't link the 386/486 self-modifying core in a dynamic
client. If you want the best performance, you should stick with the
443 client.
We will continue to include this 386/486 self-modifying core in future
a.out and libc5 clients.

cdy :: 02-Sep-1999 14:26 (Thursday) ::

Distributed.Net rox.

alde :: 23-Aug-1999 15:12 (Monday) ::

Ok, I fixed the Athlon's spelling on the submit form, and so far have 2
submissions:

Operating System: DOS (MSDOS/PCDOS/etc.) --
CPU Type        : AMD K7 (Althion) --
CPU Speed       : 600 Mhz -- nomal
Client Running  : Bovine v2.7100 (RC5) --
Client Speed    : 2,011,659,59

Operating System: Linux --
CPU Type        : AMD K7 (Althion) -- <- Athlon!
CPU Speed       : 500 Mhz --
Client Running  : Bovine v2.7106 (RC5) --
Client Speed    : 1.517.000,00

I would put the 600 as an outlyer, but the 500 looks to be valid.

(I haven't seen one live to be a viable source of data on the Athlon.)

--Pete

sampo :: 29-Jun-1999 23:42 (Tuesday) ::

update time again.  several bugs were found in the last release, and most are fixed.
try out the latest client (1.6.3b2) at the download locations below.  Anyone who
downloaded the previous beta is strongly advised to upgrade.  Keep the bug reports
coming.  thank you.

http://web.triton.net/sampo/rc5des.PPC.sit [251k stuffit 5.x format]
http://web.triton.net/sampo/rc5des.PPC.bin.gz [243k gzip'd macbinary]

alex :: 27-Jun-1999 17:56 (Sunday) ::

No plans at the moment

pice :: 06-May-1999 04:24 (Thursday) ::

    As users of the newer (440+) win32cli client may have noticed, many of
the features that have been requested by users of this list have already
been implemented. Work has begun on a remote administration feature and we
would like some feedback on this, please send your suggestions by May 14th
to rc5 at lists.distributed.net. You can also check
http://www.distributed.net/~pice/console for current status.

    This program will actually be three programs,

    1-client
        It will be change so that it can receive request for changing *some*
of its config info, among then we can have:
            block size
            network setting
            log options
            blocks processed
            overall keyrate
            <name your suggestion>
        One item will *not* be allowed to be changed:email, please do not
ask.

    2-node program
        It will act like a really to handle config info generated by the
console and sent to a client
        It will act like relays  to handle config info to be sent to the
client and no contest info like blocks.

    3-management console
        So that the user can check/change client configuration working like
a config info server

    How will it work ?

    The client will connect from time to time to one of the nodes and check
if there is a console requesting communication with it. If such a console is
found the config process is started. Clients connected all the time and
without any firewall problem can inform the node this status and just wait
until something arrives for it.
    Of course all this communication will be encrypted so that you cannot
request a client that is not yours to change any info!

peterd :: 19-Feb-1999 03:16 (Friday) ::

I'm working on the Mac client.  Right now I'm concentrating on optimizing
the scheduling code, including making it work with the next release of
the MacOS, and making the settings to control scheduling much easier
to use.  I also do the BeOS client builds.

peter :: 13-Feb-1999 22:26 (Saturday) ::

Statsbox2 is now installed and running in its new home, allowing
Nugget to resume preparations for putting it into service.

grub :: 05-Feb-1999 17:29 (Friday) ::

watch this space
It'll be Insanely Great...

fordbr :: 17-Jan-1999 12:18 (Sunday) ::

Re-wrote S-box 3 and modified slightly S-Boxes 1, 2, 6 and 8 for
DES MMX.

Should give a 4% speedup.

cyp :: 27-Dec-1998 02:48 (Sunday) ::

Well, not much is new code wise. I wrote a little snippet so that the win32
"cli" client minimizes to the task bar, and (also a "RuleR" suggestion)
added long block benchmarking as a right-click option.

deathboy :: 04-Dec-1998 22:18 (Friday) ::

plan, what plan .. I have no plan!

chipper

blast :: 05-Oct-1998 22:28 (Monday) ::

Been working on fixing the -help "bug" that I've had in
my last trees, I think I nailed it now, not entirely sure, I'll have
to do some testing. Got the new 68k cores working a small
while back, they're awesome, hope I can release something soon.

Had a go with compiling the perproxy for AmigaOS. Let's just
say it doesn't compile yet and leave it at that.
The AmigaOS specific parts are what they were in the 2.005 clients,
and those that remember those days also remember that I rewrote
a lot of AmigaOS code which made the client nicer (imho). Guess
I'll have to start moving code from the client tree (AmigaOS specific
code only of course) or rewriting those parts anew. I'll see what I'll
do. I'm working on it regardless...

My own domain is now fully operational and reverse name lookups
also work as they should now.

paulf :: 25-Sep-1998 14:47 (Friday) ::

Whatever.

tomn :: 25-Sep-1998 05:20 (Friday) ::

Yould Bay!

[...]

decibel :: 30-Mar-2000 02:47 (Thursday) ::

Silly me, I should have knocked on wood in my last .plan. The bug *is*
fixed as far as I can tell, but the box ran out of disk space last night.
In a comedy of errors, email on n0 was also down, so I didn't get an email
informing me that the box was out of space. *and* our irc system monitor
was MIA. What's that they say about things always coming in threes? :)

Stats are running again (just finished importing Mar 28)

nuts... just filled up a database device. This ain't my week...

I'll post an ETA once I have one. }:8(

[...]

decibel :: 30-Mar-2000 03:09 (Thursday) ::

Errrr.... Uhmmmm....

Seems I made one tiny error in the change I made last night... }:8)

The insert to _master is running right now. Assuming my fix works as it
should, we'll be good to go. I'll know either way in a few minutes.

Assuming everything works, I'll run the ranking for Mar 28 by hand, then
set the box loose on Mar 29. The Mar 29 run should be done about 8 hours
from now.

Hopefully, this is the last we'll see of this problem! *crossing hooves*

Thanks for your patience.

remi :: 30-Mar-2000 22:45 (Thursday) ::

Hi all,

Just a short line or two to tell you we just released another public source
package. This time we included MacOS-specific code as well as Dan Oetting's
Altivec RC5 core. Happy compiling! :)

http://www.distributed.net/source/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net