[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Tue May 23 21:00:07 EDT 2000

decibel :: 23-May-2000 02:01 (Tuesday) ::

Statsbox update....

The box has definitely degraded... it's been down more than it's been up
today. At this point, our priority is just to get a solid backup before
we're totally dead in the water.

Based on the few useful error messages from /var/log/messages, this seems
to be a virtual memory issue, and we can also tell that one of the drives
is failing, so a safe bet would be that the swap partition on that drive
is giving us fits. A donated RAID controller should be on it's way, which
would solve this *IF* it was in fact the drive that was to blame, but
that's a pretty big *IF*. There's also been discussion of flat-out
purchasing a box from a major manufacturer, with on-site tech support,
etc. But it would take some time before such a box could be put into
production, so hopefully we can stabilize statsbox in the meantime.

More info as available...

nugget :: 23-May-2000 03:07 (Tuesday) ::

First off, thanks for all your patience with statsbox's instability the
past few days.  It looks like we're losing the 9gb drive that's in the
machine.  getting scsi bus errors, timeouts, and system panics.  (panics
are, we think, because that drive housed some swap space in addition to
database data).

We're in the process of doing a backup of all the data to a few off-site
machines and then we're going to do some more detailed diagnostics to
determine the source of the problem.  The symptoms are still a bit sketchy
at this point and we don't have a solid theory.  Data integrity first,
then we'll worry about replacing the faulty hardware.

It's unlikely that we'll bring stats up tonight, most likely it'll be
tomorrow at the earliest.

Look for further updates from myself, decibel, or peter as we hone in on
the problem.

]:8)

decibel :: 23-May-2000 06:51 (Tuesday) ::

Me and my big mouth. No sooner did I finish that last
.plan update than I noticed that my ssh sessions to the
box weren't responding. We're working on it right now, but I'm guessing
that the box is going to need a good kick in the backside, which won't
happen until tomorrow.

*sigh*

More info as available....

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net