[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Fri Oct 12 21:00:01 EDT 2001

nugget :: 12-Oct-2001 19:17 (Friday) ::

>From http://www.epic.org/alert/EPIC_Alert_8.20.html

The U.S. Senate approved far-reaching anti-terrorism legislation late last
night, rejecting efforts to limit the measure's impact on the privacy and
civil liberties of American citizens.  The Uniting and Strengthening
America Act (S. 1510) was the product of negotiations between the Justice
Department and the Senate leadership.  In an unusual departure from normal
legislative procedure, the bill was sent directly to the full Senate
without any debate or consideration by the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Sen. Russell Feingold (D-WI) and other colleagues, including Paul Wellstone
(D-MI) and Maria Cantwell (D-WA), unsuccessfully attempted to have the
Senate vote on three amendments designed to minimize the impact on civil
liberties.  "What have we come to when we don't have either committee or
Senate deliberation or amendments on an issue of this importance?" Feingold
asked.  "Each of us cares as much as anyone in this room about the fight
against terrorism, but we want to make sure we don't go beyond that goal
and intrude on our civil liberties."  The unamended bill was approved by
a 96-to-1 vote, with Feingold dissenting.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net