[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Fri Apr 12 21:00:34 EDT 2002

dbaker :: 12-Apr-2002 00:12 GMT (Friday) ::

Greetings, folks.

The master server will be offline for much of tonight and tomorrow morning
while it is couriered by FedEx Express to one of our new colo facilities.

I appreciate all the colo offers that I have received. I am splitting up our
network a bit and this is just one of our new homes. For those of you that have
offered space and haven't heard back from me, I apologize for the delay. Moving
the master has been priority one and then I will work on moving the rest of the
equipment. I'm still interested in the offers that I received and plan to make
use of at least one, if not two, of them.

I currently have no plan to bring up a secondary master during the down time  .
As a result, the proxy network will back up a bit and stats will be delayed We.
will catch up the network and the stats server within a day or so             .

The master will be taken down at approximately 20:00CDT (01:00UTC) to prepare
it for shipment. Unfortunately, in AUS, the last FedEx Express drop-off time is
at 21:00CDT. We expect the equipment to be back online at the new colo facility
by about 15:00EDT (19:00UTC) That ultimately leaves us with about 18 hours of
down time.

This should be the new permanent home of the master server for many years to
come. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to pulling this off.

Cheers.

decibel :: 11-Apr-2002 23:31 CDT (Thursday) ::

As dbaker mentioned in his .plan
(http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/dnet-finger.cgi?user=dbaker), the master will
be down for the next 18 hours or so. Since the log files are on the master,
this also means that we won't be catching up on the stats backlog while the
master is down.

As for the backlog, I've been working on some changes to the stats code
the past few days trying to eliminate situations that could cause stats
inconsistencies. Unfortunately, the new code has introduced some problems of
it's own, so I've been in the process of slowly debugging things. Hopefully
things will be stabilizing over the next few days.

bovine :: 12-Apr-2002 16:00 GMT (Friday) ::

If you're looking for something to do while idling and waiting for the
keymaster to be relocated to its new location, then you may like to
take the time to wish a happy birthday to both Moonwick
<moonwick at distributed.net> and Daa <daa at distributed.net>.  Most
significantly, it's Moonie's 21st birthday today and there are some
awesome party plans scheduled for him tonight! ]:8)

decibel :: 12-Apr-2002 17:44 CDT (Friday) ::

Hrm... guess we don't need teams for OGR-24 anymore...

(just kidding)

I'm re-generating the data right now, should be done in 1/2 hour or so. Also, I
think I found the bug in the statproc code, so hopefully we'll be able to catch
up as soon as the master comes back online.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net