[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Sun Sep 29 01:00:02 EDT 2002

decibel :: 27-Sep-2002 18:59 CDT (Friday) ::

Well, I haven't read RC5@ yet, but I know that a number of people are very
unhappy with the decision to remove all the stats from after the winning key
was found. This was done because it's what we've always done in the past, and
is arguable the most correct thing to do, since there is definite value in
knowing the exact amount of effort that was required to find the winning key.

On the other hand, we certainly understand why many of you would like to see
stats for all the work that was done, including work after the key was found.
In order to try and make everyone happy, we're going to post both sets of
stats. One set will stop at the time the key was found, the other set will go
to the end of the logs.

Blower is working on copying the data right now. It's slowing the box down
quite a bit, so that's why stats are slow right now. Since I deleted the raw
data from stats, it will have to re-process the logs from after the key was
found. I estimate that effort will take about 10 days, baring any problems.

decibel :: 27-Sep-2002 19:20 CDT (Friday) ::

Quick update: turns out doing this data copy with the website turned on is
making Sybase pretty mad, so I've turn the web off for now. I'll try turning it
back on with the p-history stuff removed (which I think is the main cause of
the problem), but that might not work.

This might delay getting the second set of RC5 stats up.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe plans' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net