[plans] distributed.net .plan update

plans at nodezero.distributed.net plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Thu Apr 1 19:00:04 EST 2004

t_wolf :: 01-Apr-2004 12:32 GMT (Thursday) ::

Hi everyone.

I'd like to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Thorsten Wolf and I'm new
to the d.net team.

Since we're all waiting for the new statsbox, I'd like to make a public call to
everyone out there willing to help creating a new design for the stats pages.

We want to have it look similar to the d.net standard design, but new ideas
will be appreciated.

So send me your suggestions (please make a screenshot of your HTML instead of
sending me plain HTML).

Send them to: <a
href="mailto:t_wolf at distributed.net">t_wolf at distributed.net</a>

nugget :: 01-Apr-2004 09:51 CST (Thursday) ::

Since the delivery timeline on the Dual Opteron box we ordered keeps
slipping and we realize that it's crucially important that we gets stats
back up and running in a reasonable timeframe, I've just cancelled the
order on the Opteron box.  We all decided it would make more sense to buy a
machine locally so we wouldn't have to wait for shipping delays.

This morning I headed over to CompUSA and picked up a nice eMachines
Minitower.  Since we'd lose the 90 days of telephone support if we
installed FreeBSD on the box, we're just going to stick with Windows ME
which was preinstalled on the machine.

As soon as I've had a chance to get Access installed we should be ready to
start serving up stats again.  Thanks again, everyone, for your patience
through this unexpected downtime.  I'm excited about getting something up
and running now instead of just waiting for that other box!

(By the way, does anyone know the proper modem initialization string for
the eMachines winmodem?  I need to get the box online asap)