[plans] distributed.net .plan update

Plan Man plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Tue Aug 7 20:00:04 EDT 2007

decio :: 07-Aug-2007 08:54 GMT (Tuesday) ::

Dear friends,

The PlayStation 3 is here. Perhaps you know somebody running Folding at Home
on theirs? We couldn't sit idle. Our crack team of programmers has ported
dnetc to the PlayStation 3 platform, complete with optimized RC5-72
assembly code for record-breaking speed.

We really mean it: we have measured the PlayStation 3 processing RC5-72
work units at close to 170 Mkeys/sec, easily making this the fastest
hardware platform our client has been ported to.  This is more than 22
times faster than a computer with a Pentium 4 processor running at the
same clock speed as the PS3's Cell processor. Although OGR is enabled on
this build, work on optimized OGR cores is in progress; expect a
suboptimal rate of about 17 Mnodes/sec if you choose to run OGR.

You are welcome to download this pre-release client from our web site at
http://www.distributed.net/download/prerelease.php. Please note that this
client expires in 2 weeks, when we plan to release a new version including
optimized OGR cores.

We thank you for your continuing support. Moo! ]:8)

chipper :: 07-Aug-2007 22:19 GMT (Tuesday) ::

lists.0.net will be down for maintenance starting at 6:30PM EDT
and returning to service before midnight EDT.

-Chip