[plans] distributed.net blog update

Jeff Lawson plans at nodezero.distributed.net
Tue Sep 21 19:07:14 EDT 2010

distributed.net blog updates in the last 24 hours:

---

nerf :: 21-Sep-2010 15:31 UTC (Tuesday) ::
http://blogs.distributed.net/2010/09/21/15/31/nerf/

So, stats hit a milestone of sorts.  We’re got a team that has now done 2^63 keys in rc5.  This has overflowed the column that it was stored in.

The temporary solution is to increase these columns to NUMERIC(25), which is 10^25.  This gives us over a million times more storage until we get a more “correct” solution, which is to store stats units in the database.  But that requires more work, and we’re looking to get things up as quickly as possible.

We apologize for the downtime but we didn’t realize how good you guys are!

---

bovine :: 21-Sep-2010 04:54 UTC (Tuesday) ::
http://blogs.distributed.net/2010/09/21/04/54/bovine/

It seems that we’ve encountered an unexpected milestone in the our RC5-72 project’s status!  Last night’s stats processing hit a data overflow error in one of the team database columns.

We will be making some schema changes to one of the backend team tables and hope to have stats processing back online later today.  Once we’re done, stats should again properly reflect all received results.

Keep on crunching!