[RC5-PROXYPER] Trimming log-files...

Dirk Kuypers dk at comnets.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Dec 4 09:13:50 EST 1997

Hi,

I am just wondering how I could trim my log-files...

I thought something like this should work:

tail nohup.out > test-file
cat test-file > nohup.out

(I am on solaris 2.6 here, bash is 2.01 I think)

If I do this, the nohup-file is only ten lines long, as I would expect.
But when the proxy puts his next few lines to STDOUT, the file is again
13 MB big. Is this a 'feature' of starting a program with nohup, or am I
thinking in a wrong direction?

I would like to have a cron-job every night tailing this file
automatically. The only possibility I used yet was killing the proxy,
remove the file and start it again...

Dirk
--
  Dirk Kuypers                  ComNets - RWTH Aachen

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5-proxyper' to majordomo at llamas.net
rc5-proxyper-digest subscribers replace rc5-proxyper with rc5-proxyper-digest