[RC5-PROXYPER] Proxy log files owned by root?

Mike Benna Mike at MindSpan.com
Thu Dec 18 16:38:04 EST 1997

The proxy isn't started from a script or as root.  Here's what I do to start
it:

1) Log into the console as 'rc5'
2) Switch to the proxy directory
3) type './rc5proxy' and hit enter.

All the programs and files in the ~rc5/proxy directory are owned by rc5.rc5
The log files go into "../logs/keys_", which creates a nice directory of log
files named ~rc5/logs

This is what has me puzzled... there's nothing "root" about this!  the ~rc5
directory, the proxy directory, the logs directory, and everything in all of
them is all owned by rc5.rc5 and I'm logged in as rc5.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slim <slim at ipapilot.org>
To: rc5-proxyper at llamas.net <rc5-proxyper at llamas.net>
Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5-PROXYPER] Proxy log files owned by root?

When you start the proxy, are you logged in as root, or is it started by a
startup script that runs as root? If it's not being started by root and
it's not running setuid as root, I don't see how it can create files that
are owned by root.

Then again if it is running as root, it should be able to write to any
file it likes. Are you starting it as root and running it setuid as rc5?

Chris Johnson

>Am I the only person seeing this problem?  It's a really quite annoying.
>
>I'm running a personal proxy server under Linux ("Bovine RC5 Personal
Proxy