[RC5-PROXYPER] Re: A few things for the proxies..

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Tue Dec 30 12:29:18 EST 1997

At 07:57 AM 12/30/97 , Tero Kilkanen wrote:
>	I need something that makes the proxy run "offline", so that it
>won't try to connect to the net. I have a LAN here, with a proxy running
>on one machine. The machine where the proxy is, has a dial-on-demand
>Internet connection, and I don't want it to dial every time to the net
>when the proxy wants to send blocks to the keyserver. Also, I need a
>switch like -flush and -fetch to the proxy, so that I can have the proxy
>to update the buffers when I am connected.
>
>	Also, an option that would update ppbuffout right after client
>connection would be good, because my system has been a bit unstable
>lately, and I don't want to lose blocks due to crashes...

You should be able to do this with the current (build 261) personal
proxies.  Simply use values such as the following:

[keyserver]
workperiod=15
[options]
pidfile=~/proxyper.pid
maxkeysready=1000
minkeysready=10
maxkeysdone=1000

The short workperiod ensures that the buffers frequently get flushed to
disk.  The buffer thresholds make the proxy only fetch when it is extremely
low (relative to the maxkeysread).

When you want to force a fetch/flush, just do "kill -HUP `~/proxyper.pid`"

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5-proxyper' to majordomo at llamas.net