[PROXYPER] Why doesn't proxy write competed blocks to di...

WINKELMANS Gunther Gunther.WINKELMANS at is.belgacom.be
Wed Dec 9 09:14:38 EST 1998

Petr,

20 minutes is far too long! The readme.txt included with v280 of the win95
proxy advises "a couple of minutes" maximum:

[KeyServer]/workperiod: determines the minimum delay (in seconds)
between sequential attempted network connections to the keyserver.
This value should typically *not* be adjusted to more than a couple of
minutes.  Doing so may cause your proxy to run out of keyblocks if
you are serving a lot of fast machines!

Mine is set a 15 seconds. With full logging this generates a logfile of 2Mb
each day. If this is a problem for you, you can
- change the logging option (no logging or less details);
- use a log-compression option;
- detail the file of the previous day (as I do).

Best Regards,
Gunther
gunther.winkelmans at is.belgacom.be
-------------
Original Text
From: Petr Novotny <Petr.Novotny at antek.cz>, on 09/12/98 9:57:
To: SMTP at MASTER.PER@BELGACOM[<proxyper at lists.distributed.net>]

SUBJECT too long. Original SUBJECT is
[PROXYPER] Why doesn't proxy write competed blocks to disk immediately?

----------------------  Original Message Follows  ----------------------
Hi,

the inevitable has happened to me yesterday :-) The power went off
and I lost some blocks which were already sent to the perproxy but
not written to the hard disk yet. I don't quite understand that - the
clients are checkpointing as hell just to make sure two blocks are
not lost - and then perproxy doesn't bother to flush ten or so blocks
to the hard disk. (And don't tell me to shorten workperiod - I don't
need to have the disk full of logfile. I always thought twenty
minutes was the right setting.) Anyone care to explain?
--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
Petr.Novotny at antek.cz
http://www.antek.cz
-- Don't you know there ain't no devil there's just God when he's drunk.
                                                             [Tom Waits]