[PROXYPER] issue with Pproxy not giving out all the blocks

Jay Berg jberg at phc.net
Fri Dec 18 07:39:44 EST 1998

On my home network (2 systems), I have a dial-up connection to the Internet
on one of the systems. On that system, I run a Pproxy that connects to my
main Pproxy at my office. The dial-up connection is sporadic, 1-2 times a
day. I have both systems running rc5 and talking to a Pproxy on the gateway
system.

The Pproxy is set to talk to the Pproxy at the office via a numeric IP
address of the office Pproxy system. At first, I found the Pproxy was using
90% of the system resources when the dial-up line was disconnected. I then
set the "workperiod" setting to 300 (5 minutes). This caused the Pproxy to
only try to connect once every 5 minutes and the CPU utilization went back
to normal. I assume this was due to the timeout on connection attempts
taking longer than the normal workperiod value.

The result is that the two rc5 clients have a local Pproxy to service both
systems and that the Pproxy automatically performs the up/downloading when
the gateway dial-up is connected. Neither rc5 client is ever kept waiting
for a connection and the Pproxy handles the disconnections from the Internet
without a glitch.

I'd recommend you use a numeric IP value and an increased "workperiod"
value. That should take care of your problem(s).

    Jay
    jberg at phc.net