[RC5-PROXYPER] New version

Jeff Lawson bovine at distributed.net
Fri Jan 16 04:11:06 EST 1998

At 01:01 AM 1/16/98 , Mark Hill wrote:
>On 15 Jan 98 at 21:40, <theman at fallout.nws.net> wrote:
>> Not to make any grand sweeping promises, but the new build 275 pproxies
>> *appear* to fix the "Putting back 15 unsent server acknowledgments"
bug;

>Not here it isn't; the proxy (NT) is still failing to send back any
>blocks.
>
>It is failing to dump its RC5 blocks then gives up; it doesn't
>attempt to get rid of DES-II or even get any new DES-II blocks.

Technically the bug wasn't the "putting back xx unsent..." but was the "All
work done closing connection" message when the proxy was actually waiting
for responses for the blocks it had just transmitted.

If you can supply a more detailed log of the communications problem, then I
can attempt to diagnose the problem.

As I've indicated http upstream server support has not yet been improved
yet, so if this is what you are attempting, hold your problem until we are
able to make improvements in this area.

So please, if you are having problems with http and the personal proxies,
we are aware of the problems and there is *no* need to indicate that you
are also affected.  The upstream http mode in the personal proxy works fine
for some people and we are working to identify why others are having
problems.

>It also ran out of ready blocks to serve and is not randomly
>generating them at all (the win32 GUI version used to do this).

This is intentional.  Not serving random blocks by the proxy will encourage
the client to randomly generate blocks one at a time, forcing it to
frequently check into the proxy for new blocks before failing and
generating a random block again.  This way in case real blocks are soon
obtained by the proxy, the client will not be "stuck" working on a bunch of
random blocks given to it by the proxy.

Jeff

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5-proxyper' to majordomo at llamas.net