[RC5-PROXYPER] General Questions

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Tue Jul 14 12:13:54 EDT 1998

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 10:41:36AM -0600, FRAY wrote:
> 1) Is it true that PKP works FIFO (First in First Out) or is it FILO (First in
> Last Out)?

The personal proxy uses a FIFO buffer, but can't share buffer files.

The clients use a LIFO buffer, and can share its buffer files with other
clients via a shared partition.

> 2) I've heard that PKP will combine block back together before sending them
> into the key servers. i.e.  Clients are using 2^28 blocks, when they get back
> to the PKP they get stuffed back into 2^31 blocks before they are sent back to
> the Key servers.  Is this true?

I believe this to be true, and I think I have seen it happen.  It requires
that all the sub-blocks be back to the proxy before it needs to flush,
otherwise they'll get sent back piecemeal.

> 3) Can PKPs be chained together?  i.e. pkp -> pkp -> keyserver

Yes.  I do this already for tracking purposes (home network is fed by
a pproxy (linux 279b) which fetches blocks from the pproxy sitting on my
desktop machine at work (NT 280).

--
   -- Mitch Patenaude             Software Engineer
      mitch at likeminds.com         LikeMinds Inc.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net