[RC5-PROXYPER] network access mode for personal proxy with dial-up?

Duncan Cameron dcameron at bcs.org.uk
Sat Jul 25 12:42:59 EDT 1998

Douglas

I think that you have read too much into the reference to dial-up in
the readme file.  There is no particular support for dial-up in the way
that the Win32 GUI supports 'lurk'.  What I do is have my minkeysready
set to a low number and my maxkeysdone set to a high number, so that
the pproxy won't try to connect because it has run out of blocks or
needs to flush its blocks. Have maxkeysready set to enough blocks for,
say, one day for your clients.

The value of the workperiod then should not matter too much, as the
pproxy will not be trying to connect.  I have my workperiod set to 30
minutes.  Be aware that the pproxy will only write to disk the blocks
it has received from your clients at this time, so you don't want to
make the period too long.

When you have dialed-up, use CTRL-Break to force the pproxy to re-read
its .ini file, flush its blocks to the server and to restock its
buffers.

Hope this helps

Duncan Cameron

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net