[PROXYPER] Linux 281 bug

BooK Philippe.Bruhat at capway.com
Thu Sep 24 21:45:32 EDT 1998

Hello,

> There's no problem to flush when I connect - just
> kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/run/rc5proxy.pid`
> called in /etc/ppp/ip-up - simple as hell.

There seem to be a big difference between the proxy and the client when
they flush.

I only connect when the mail queue is big enough, and the connection is
usually stopped when all processes are finished (sending and fetching
mail and a few other things).

The main advantage of rc5des -update is that it is a process and you can
then wait for it to finish. So the connection is cut after the end of the
update.

But with the kill -SIGHUP scheme, you cannot wait for the update process
to finish, because there is probably no update process. Or you can't get
its pid. So if the connection is cut before the end of the block flush /
fetch, you can't send all blocks or get as much new ones as you need.

Er, I must add I haven't run the proxyper yet, mainly because I didn't
know if there was another way to flush than kill -SIGHUP, and I did not
find this way satisfying for my needs (online time as short as possible,
but as long as I need for my mail and rc5 blocks needs).

So, is there a way to know if the proxy flush/fetch is done ?