[PROXYPER] Linux 281 bug

waldo kitty wkitty42 at alltel.net
Fri Sep 25 15:38:45 EDT 1998

Petr Novotny wrote:

> > and it surely can't hand out random
> > blocks... better to let the clients generate them... ahhh, i see
> > now... you want the perproxy to hand out key in the random space so
> > that you won't have any clients generating the same block and
> > wasting that effort...
>
> No you don't understand. The proxy still has a lot of blocks to check
> but since it thinks it is busy flushing/fetching it doesn't
> communicate with clients. I hope I stated this clearly: The proxy has
> full buffers but it is busy DNS querying(?) and not feeding clients.

AHHHH... that's what i overlooked... you still have 599 blocks in the
inbuffer that you want to hand out... sorry... i just had abdominal
surgery and the meds i'm taking do get in my way at times %-)

> >   2. let the perproxy accept more keys than maxkeysready
>
> Sure as hell!

yep, i went way off on something else with that random key space
stuff... sorry 'bout that, dude...

> > appears to be a design flaw... NOT a bug...
>
> What's the f*ing difference? It doesn't work - I don't care if it is
> due to weak concept or weak coding...

hehe... the difference is simple... a bug is code that doesn't work...
in this case, the design flaw is that the code code doesn't even
exist... <<G>>

> > i can see where the number 1 above could go either way... it's
> > probably beast to just implement number 2 above and let the clients
> > continue generating the random keys as they see fit but that is up
> > to the developers after all...
>
> PLUS not let the proxy get too busy trying to communicate with
> higher-level proxies.

yep! i wonder, though... i'll have to check this on my perproxy here...
i just hate to shutdown my router to terminate the internet
connection... that kinda slices off several other folks where they can't
do what they need to do... i run OS/2 BTW...

--
          _o    Bike       o_          Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
       -- <,_   Collider  _,>  --      mailto:wkitty42 at alltel.net
     --  _>(_)  Project  (_)<_  --     ftp://ftp.wplace.dyn.ml.org
    --  (_)                 (_)  --    http://www.wplace.dyn.ml.org
                                       telnet://bbs.wplace.dyn.ml.org
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net