[PROXYPER] Problem with proxy and linux ?

Matthew Geier matthew at janus.law.usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 09:46:12 EDT 1999

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Matthew Geier wrote:
>

> >  I did that, and it improved things, but it looks like I need LOTS of
> > blocks available.
> >
> >  Ill make the buffer even bigger!.
>
> Hmm.. What's your overall keyrate?   (The proxy reported 7.7 Mkeys/s in
> the logs, but it claims I do quite a bit over what I really do).

 I ended up saying keep 60 blocks in the buffer. Watching the logs
it some times nearly runs out, but the 20 clients involved dont all
hit at the same time, so it works mostly.
 Some suggested over a 1000.

> Assuming it is 7.7 Mkeys/s you can do a couple thousend blocks a day.  So
> 25 is an *insanely* low figure.
>
> You usually want to buffer (for RC5) about 3 days of blocks, incase of
> network outages, so make that the maxready figure, and set minready to 1
> or 2 days worth.

 Sounds like the value should be much much larger than the default.

 It would have helped me if the readme had mentioned that clients would
get an error and would not work properly if the proxy ran out of blocks
on them.
 Maybe the readme file should mention that for multiple hosts talking to
the proxy that several 100 or even over a 1000 blocks in the buffer is
more appropiate.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net