[PROXYPER] Proxyper e-mailing logs? (and wstart issues)

Dean Morrell dmorrell at auntvi.com
Fri Apr 16 09:36:47 EDT 1999

Tom:
I can't answer your Bovine questions, but I do know a little about networking and
DHCP.  If you want to resolve a name, you have to run WINS or DNS.  As far as I
know, DNS cannot work with DHCP without your regular intervention.  That leaves
WINS (windows internet naming service; NT only).  WINS will resolve a netBIOS
name; that is, the name you gave the computer in your network setup.  It will work
something like this.

I have registered a domain name.  It is Auntvi.com (we make pasta here). My NT
server may be called Server-NT.  To access it from my win95 workstation I can call
it \\Server-nt or because I am using DNS from my ISP and  IIS I can call it
http://Server-NT or http://Server-NT.auntvi.com.

A great book on all of this networking stuff is Mastering Windows NT Server 4
published by Sybex, written by Mark Minasi.  Get at least the 6th edition.

Dean