[PROXYPER] How can I get more then 1000 blocks?

Mike Morrow mike at micratek.com
Tue Aug 24 12:25:06 EDT 1999

Here is why I want MANUAL control rather than automatic.

Sometimes I go away for a week or two and there is no connection to the
Internet during that time.  I need to stockpile keys to last for that week
or two.  Normally I connect every day for multiple hours every day so the
automatic setting knows that I need very little buffering.  But when the
exception comes along (sporadic, long periods without connection) the
automatic setting is caught with its stats down and I cannot get enough
keys to live for that period.

Thank goodness that 'feature' has not been put in the clients YET!  I can
run them up high and get enough to last for the week.  When that 'feature'
gets put in the client (I hope NOT), I will be out of business when I am
out for business.

Take a cue (clue) from Windows.  Automatic is NOT always better!  Unless it
can be turned off when the HUMAN knows better, automatic sucks!  I really
hate Windows (re)setting things because IT knows better than I do about my
environment.  The human should be able to win over 'smart' software when
that software is not so smart!

My opinion, but apparently the viewpoint of others.

Mike Morrow

At 12:12 PM 8/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Could you share with us why you need more than 4 days worth of blocks? Or
>is it
>simply because you need to be able to sneakernet pproxy buffers? We'd like to
>be able to make the pproxy as easy to use and as useful as possible without
>risking that people could easily 'drain' our network of keys.
>
>Thanks!
>dB!
>distributed.net Human Interface
>
>On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 10:22:05AM +0200, gunther.winkelmans at belgacom.be
>wrote:
> > Goodmorning (here in Brussels).
> >
> > There has been some discussion on this item here before. Maybe you could
> > check the archives on the website, maybe someone else will give you a
> longer
> > explanation.
> >
> > If you want more than 1000 blocks the proxy calculates if you really need
> > them. That's it, basically.
> >
> > I cannot live with it either. That's why I haven't upgraded. I'm still
> using
> > 304 until dnet provides another way of giving us the number of blocks we
> > want.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gunther.

     _/      _/   _/   _/  _/    _/_/_/   From the computer room of:
    _/_/  _/_/   _/   _/ _/     _/       Mike/W5MDM (was AB6NN)
   _/ _/_/ _/   _/   _/_/      _/_/     Mike at MicraTek.com
  _/  _/  _/   _/   _/  _/    _/       38°04'43.7"N, 122°12'20.5"W
_/      _/   _/   _/    _/  _/_/_/   310 feet elevation, MSL
AOL/IM: W5MDM -- ICQ: 5056515  Homepage: http://www.micratek.com
I think I will get naked, go stand on the corner and
see if anything interesting happens.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net