[PROXYPER] Recycling keys

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Thu Aug 26 19:08:57 EDT 1999

This is correct. The entire 64 bit keyspace is divided into 256 56 bit
subspaces. In the past, we had a problem with keeping too many subspaces on the
master. This is no longer the case, and due to this, we havn't recycled any keys
in probably close to a year. We still state that we consider keys handed out
more than 60 days ago as 'old' or 'lost' simply because we may need to start
closing out subspaces in the future. When that does happen, we don't want people
to start yelling. :) Besides, it's rather desireable to connect at least once a
month if at all possible.

This is something that will probably end up changing eventually. For example,
CSC is a 56 bit key contest. We'll hopefully be recycling keys for that contest
a week or two after it starts, simply because we'll be out of keys at that
point. The requirements for OGR may be such that we need to get keys in within a
month or so.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Moo!
dB!