[PROXYPER] Proxyper for w95 requires winsock2?

Jeff Lawson bovine at distributed.net
Sun Dec 5 22:43:06 EST 1999

Requiring Winsock2 is a reasonable requirement because machines that have
only Winsock 1.x (only Win95 machines) also will typically have the old
Win95 kernel leak on socket leak bug, which is a significant issue for the
proxy where it must open and close a large number of sockets to handle all
of the frequent client and server connections.  Enforcing a requirement of
Winsock2 is also beneficial in keeping a consistent baseline network
library requirement.  I might add that if you do not have administrative
permission or ability to ensure that the readily-available Winsock2
upgrade on the machine that you are designating for this purpose, then it
is also possible that you do not have administrative permission to operate
(though this issue was not involved in the decision to utilize Winsock2).

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net