[PROXYPER] Linux 304 PP

root at brain.acmelabs.com root at brain.acmelabs.com
Sat Feb 13 11:10:20 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk wrote:

> What exactly makes the 30x proxy 'a lemon'?  It would be nice if you back
> up your arguments slightly...

Oh! I have! I have! Back then I first made the mistake of upgrading to
30x to take advantage of the desIII quickstart thing.

Thankfully the worst problem, the proxy fetching waaay too many blocks has
been fixed.

The next two things that burn me is the removal of two features, which to
me were quite important. THe datached and showcumulativestats lines in the
ini file.

About detached, sure its a commandline option but why should I have to
type it every damn time instead of throwing it in the ini file and forget
about it? This change is not a feature nor a bug, just programmer error.

About showcumulativestats, my stats program used to use this to monitor
keyrate in semi realtime, if it dropped below a certain point I knew
something was wrong. With a computer or a network or something. That and
the stats it provided were nice. Those are gone, feature? bug? No, just
programmer laziness.

Next, as if that wasnt enough. The logcompressing feature is broken.
I used to use this to feed a whole days logs into another little stats
program. It was nice, it was efficient.

Software that degrades with each new version is a lemon if you ask me.
Did microsoft take over proxy development while I wasnt looking?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net