[PROXYPER] Is 30x a lemon?

Petr Novotny Petr.Novotny at antek.cz
Mon Feb 15 11:21:24 EST 1999

Hi,

while I was upset a but about problems with detaching (and I changed
start up scripts), and while I still can't run logcompressor (neither
gzip nor rm), I wouldn't consider these problem too big.

I don't know if locking was neccessary (and the explanation sounded
lame - does that mean that once you're locking personal proxies, you
can cut out dupe-checking code from the master?) but I can certainly
live with that (added -unlock and -repair to startup scripts).

What I still do not understand is that a part of the buffers is never
flushed to the disc. Is that really neccessary? It did cost me
already a few hundred block - and it will keep costing me more blocks
in the future. I am not going to back up the proxy computer with UPS
and stuff.

I would really appreciate if someone would, really carefully,
explain me why I have to sacrifice a part of my keyrate - what big
gain for the comunity I am serving. Until I see that explanation, I
consider 30x a lemon and myself a lab rat. (But I'll keep using it
since I don't want to care about "client v.xxxx needs proxy at least
v.yyyy".)

Thanks
--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
Petr.Novotny at antek.cz
http://www.antek.cz
-- Don't you know there ain't no devil there's just God when he's drunk.
                                                             [Tom Waits]
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net