[PROXYPER] Just wondering

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Feb 17 12:23:17 EST 1999

I'm not a dNet coder, but I've be listing to these discussions for a
while.

This is a known behavior.  The proxy uses what's called a "sliding
window" average speed calculation.  (calculating the "instantaneous"
average of something that is composed of discrete events is a tricky issue.)

The sliding window method doesn't always use the same time span, and
over time, the actual "window" is of different sizes.  In the case
you're describing, the time window encloses the same number
of blocks completed, but it varies in actual length of time such
that average it calculates varies inversely.

The proxies were designed with high traffic in mind, not for a situation
where the get a few blocks every hour or two.  This causes some quirky
behavior in low traffic sites like yours (and my home proxy as well.)

   -- Mitch

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net