[PROXYPER] Is 30x a lemon?

David Taylor rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 20:19:56 EST 1999

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Petr Novotny wrote:

> > The use of memory buffers to cache blocks from buffers is a
> > performance enhancement designed to reduce the latency involved in
> > serving clients and also to reduce disk accesses by combining access
> > of the buffers into single operations.
>
> And how does keeping block in memory forever come into the picture? I
> can understand that you have performance gains not writing it
> immediatelly - but not writing it at all, I can see much less of a
> gain. Plus, you're not going to avoid wasting work - in a crash the
> blocks simply disappear. Why would you not then create "checkpoint
> files" for the proxies as much as you do for the clients? I can see
> only a little rationale...
>
> > As I've brought up a number of times before, although it is possible
> > to run a proxy on a low-end user machine, it should really be
> > treated with the respect that you would offer a dedicated server
> > machine.  One would certainly take efforts to avoid powering down
> > their multiuser enterprise Solaris or NetWare machine without
> > properly shutting down and allowing disks to be synced and umounted.
>
> Our Internet proxy is a seriously underpowered Linux computer on a
> 486/33 with hard discs that should be already in a museum; due to irq
> timeouts, it crashes once or twice a week. squid has no problems with
> crashes. qmail has no problems with crashes. No mail has ever been

Qmail was designed, from the ground up, for crash proofness/security.

> lost due to the crash. A few hundred blocks have already been lost,
> and more certainly will. There's something fishy with your
> assumptions I would think.

Assuming you read his post, the proxy wasn't.  It was designed to be run
in a server enviromnet - i.e. one which doesnt crash daily...  I agree
there should probably be a ini file entry like 'bufferoften' or something
to enable buffering of all blocks.. but..