[PROXYPER] Proxyper 300+ a lemon? (long)

David Taylor rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 10:22:03 EST 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Steve Mackin wrote:

> Continuing this thread I would like to point out a strange problem that I
> have just experience with the personal proxy (build 304)
>
> The NT Server hosting my proxy just screwed up and went down with some kind
> of strange exception error in LSASS.EXE coursing me to have to reboot the
> server.
>
> After the reboot the proxy reported that the blocks were locked, so I
> proceeded to run the -unlock switch. After running this command the proxy
> further reported that I had bad blocks so I ran the -repair switch.
>
> This then was the start of my problems. All appeared to be working correctly
> apart from the fact that I now have well over 10,000 awaiting checking
> despite maxkeysready being set to 5000.
>
> rc564 r=10223/5000, d=0/1, 38.7 Mkeys/sec

If you never downloaded 10223 blocks, I would probably recommend deleting
the in buffer, because they might just be garbage, which the proxy
interpreted as blocks, but since they came from random garbage, they could
have already been done / from a closed subspace...

However, if you did download them...

> How can this happen? But more importantly even at an maximum keyrate of
> 38.7Mkeys/Second its going to take me some time to crunch through 10,000
> blocks; Is there any time limit from when blocks are checked out from the
> main keyservers to when they are returned. I would _hate_ to think that I
> was returning expired blocks.

...Then:  There is no fixed limit, but the subspace will eventually be
re-issued, but not until at least 2 months have passed.

> Also does anybody know how the proxy issues blocks, for example will it
> issue the oldest block to clients first (i.e. on a FIFO basis) or does it
> just issue them in a random order!

At one point, I was sure it was FIFO.  Now.. I dunno, I assume its FIFO,
but based on observations from other people.. It could be LIFO (though I
hope not).