[PROXYPER] When does it flush?

David Taylor rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 07:14:32 EST 1999


What implicit rule?

The personal proxy is designed so that if it ever runs out of blocks (goes
below minkeysready) or completes too many blocks (goes above maxkeysdone),
then it will connect and update.

If you don't like that run the client in offline/lurk/lurkonly mode.  If
you are running a *nix proxy then you can do 'killall -ALRM proxyper' to
make it update.

This behavior is not strange.. It is exactly what 99% of  people would
expect it to do, and what 98% of people want it to do.  The remaining 2%
just have to fiddle around with offline/lurkonly/whatever to try to get it
to do what they want....

And, wow, you can falsely get your team in the 'Top 100 yesterday' by
holding back blocks for ages... I think the stats should take account 
of the date the block was completed and the 'Top 100 yesterday' should
show the Top 100 number of blocks *COMPLETED* yesterday not *SUBMITTED*
yesterday... 

David Taylor
E-Mail:	dtaylor at nildram.co.uk.spam
ICQ:	268004
[Remove .spam from e-mail to reply]

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Meij Ewout MSM AD CH wrote:

> I have set the minkeysready to 0
> 
> The reason I'd like to store blocks 'for ages' (I do over 2k blocks a
> day, so an age is 4 days here) is that I'd like to limit the times the
> pp access the outside world, second two be able to rocket my team into
> the top 100 for one day.
> 
> But more important is that I don't see the point in 'hiding' options
> behind other options. Why have this implicite rule?
> 
> Ewout
>  ----------
> From: David Taylor
> To: proxyper at lists.distributed.net
> Subject: RE: [PROXYPER] When does it flush?
> Date: Friday, 19. February 1999 09:17
> 
> Erm, why?
> 
> If you set minkeysready=0 then It wouldn't connect unless it completely
> ran out of blocks.  Why do you not want it to connect when it has no
> blocks anyway? Why do you want it to store all the blocks in the
> outbuffer
> for ages anyway?
> 
> David Taylor
> E-Mail:	dtaylor at nildram.co.uk.spam
> ICQ:	268004
> [Remove .spam from e-mail to reply]
> 
> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Meij Ewout MSM AD CH wrote:
> 
> > That is correct. I have now seen in my consolelog file.
> >
> > So, question: could this be removed or optionaly disabled (ini file
> > setting)?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > > ----------
> > > From: 	Steve Rodway
> > > Sent: 	Donnerstag, 18. Februar 1999 19:03
> > > To: 	proxyper at lists.distributed.net
> > > Subject: 	Re: [PROXYPER] When does it flush?
> > >
> > > Meij Ewout MSM AD CH wrote:
> > >
> > > > In my humble memory cels, I seem to find that flushing blocks from
> a
> > > PP
> > > > would be done if the maxkeysdone limit was reached.
> > > >
> > > > For some obsecure reason I have a couple of days ago set this to
> > > 999999.
> > > > This morning I checked and saw that only +500 blocks are there...
> > > I've
> > > > do more than 500 blocks & less than 1 mil, that is for sure. So it
> > > seems
> > > > that the PP flushs at other triggers as well.
> > > >
> > > > Does any one know what triggers the flushing? I suspect Fetching
> or,
> > > a
> > > > log rotation (set to daily currently) but I am not sure.
> > > Unfortunatly I
> > > > had the logfileconsole option set to nothing, so I can not look
> back
> > > > (changed now).
> > >
> > >     I believe that an update (flush and fetch) will also be
> triggered
> > > when the
> > > input buffer falls below the minkeysready value.
> > >
> > > --
> > > *************************************************************
> > > *Stephen Rodway     Legion at Bigfoot.com * Support your local *
> > > *Tel. 01761 300615                     *     coroner....    *
> > > *For Email use PGP where possible.     *   Die strangely!   *
> > > *www.legion-elec.demon.co.uk/index.htm *                    *
> > > *************************************************************
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to
> > > majordomo at lists.distributed.net
> > >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to
> majordomo at lists.distributed.net
> >
> 
>  --
> To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to
> majordomo at lists.distributed.net
> 

--
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net



More information about the proxyper mailing list