[PROXYPER] logcompress & zombies

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Mon Feb 22 04:31:42 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, David Taylor wrote:

> > Additionally, build 305 will revert back to using the buffer format
> > employed within the older 280 proxies, and should be file-format
> > compatible.
>
> Will the buffers still be locked?  And, may I ask, why was the buffer
> format changed, just to be changed back again? (Or are the full proxies
> now using a different buffer format from pproxies?)

The original intention was that personal proxies could benefit from the
new linked list buffer format that was introduced primarily for the
benefit of the full servers. But now they will have to have separate code
supporting the personal proxies than what is used in the full servers.
I'm not currently planning on modifying the old file format, so no there
won't be any locking mechanism available within the buffer format.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/   http://www.bovine.net/
Jeffrey_Lawson at hmc.edu   jlawson at bovine.net    bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net