[PROXYPER] Weekly Connections

Matthew Toseland Matthew.Toseland at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 26 13:33:47 EDT 1999

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>For now, I'd suggest setting your cron to run every 3 days. Or, better yet, get
>a little clever with your dialup scripts and have them send an ALRM every time
>you connect (I assume you normally connect a few times a week to check email,
>etc.) Have them 'touch' a file someplace and have your cron job check that
>file's datestamp. If it's been over 3 days since you've connected, have it force
>a connection.
>
>FWIW, the 4 day limit is there to prevent people from maliciously 'draining'
>keys from our network. We knew that some people would have problems with the 4
>day limit, but we felt it was a good compromise.

7 would be better.  In the UK (on certain ISPs) calls to the net are free
at weekends... therefore some of us only connect at weekends under normal
circumstances.

>Moo!
>dB!
>
>Tim Bishop wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running the latest Personal Proxy on RH Linux 6.0. I have until now had
>> a cron job sending an ALRM signal on a daily basis to send my keys out. I
>> have decided that it is a bit excessive to connect every day, as I'm not
>> that bothered about stats, and it'll save on the phone bill. The problem is
>> that I will produce something in the region of 14000-20000 blocks a week,
>> and this is more than the proxy will allow. I gather it has a 'failsafe' if
>> you set a value higher than 1000, and somehow evaluates how many you would
>> need for 3-4 days. I need it to let me have enough for say 7-14 days, but I
>> don't see how I can do this.
>>
>> My possible solution is to run more than one proxy server on my linux
>> machine, but this seems excessive.
My solution is to run version 281 :) (esp. given the history of 30x and the
apparent lack of improvement in keyrate with the new clients).