[PROXYPER] Sneakernet considerations

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed May 12 16:14:53 EDT 1999

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Schroeder, Dave wrote:

> Out of curiosity, if I have 2 proxies running, one connected to the internet
> and the other connected to my local LAN, and I sneakernet the in and out
> files back and forth, am I losing any vital communication between my inside
> proxy and distributed?  My main concern since I know the blocks themselves
> are working correctly is the random prefix, I am not sure if it is set
> directly by communication with the master keyservers or is kept in the in
> buffer.

The randomprefix in every part of the system (master/proxies/clients)
is determined by the last block it hands out. It sets the
randomprefix based on that. No special communications between the
proxies for that. In the next version of the proxy, all randomprefix
code is removed, because the client can figure it out for himself
anyway.
But what IS transmitted over the network and is not stored in the
blocks, are things like scheduledupdatetime and contestclosed info.
When a new contest starts (DES?) your sneakernetproxy wont know....

Ivo

--

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net