AW: AW: [PROXYPER] PProxy taking 15% CPU time

Riemann, Christian christian.riemann at epson.de
Sun May 23 13:23:47 EDT 1999

	<SNIP>
> I think you should realise that people need a proxy for many reasons
> including but not limited to lack of dial-in, sneakernet, cost reduction,
> centralisation of control convenience, etc. ... I don't think you can
> expect us to "accept the fact that part of their cpu-time [15%!] will go
> proxy" when prior PProxy versions were a lot better behaved, more
> functional and easier to operate.
> If you make it too difficult for people to contribute to d-net then they
> wont.
>
> PProxy is a tool it should make our lives easier, not harder. PProxy 280
> is
> the best fit for me as it works, it amalgamates blocks, is unobtrusive and
> lets ME easily control my contribution to d-net.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

	Hi there!

	as already stated...i'm using the 306 proxy and its running fine...
	also it consumes nearly no cpu time...my clients report EVERY block
to the proxy
	(for smoother stats *g*) and there are up to 25 clients that report
to this proxy...most of them quite fast...
	the proxy takes less than 1% of cpu time...WITH dupechecking on a
P-II/400-128mb running WinNT-Sp4.
	so i cant complain anything about this proxy version!

	Question to Ivo:
	I have to tunnel my blocks through a http-proxy...this works very
well...but why the heck are the clients soo lame in this issue??
	(Maybe u should talk to the clients programmers and "advise" them
how to write really fast network code!)

	Bully, formerly known as Christian Riemann ;))
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net