[PROXYPER] build 306, linux libc5

Matthew Geier matthew at janus.law.usyd.edu.au
Tue May 25 20:31:24 EDT 1999

> Hello,

> > > the hostname lookup does not work. (see below). Ok, I will try a IP-
> > > Number instead, this should work.
> >
> >  You probably need a /etc/nsswitch.conf file for the glibc resolver
> > functions.
>
> No, does not work :-(
>
> IP-Number works fine.
> Could this be a problem with a too old system library?

 I got caught by something similar building up a minimum NFS-root
linux system. Might be worth checking that the resolver library
(libnsl, libresolv) are not dynamicly linked with just a static
libc. I found a number of apps would simply refuse to resove names
with out any  error about libraries. It would appear when glibc
cant find the supporting functions it just falls back to some
sort of null resolver.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net