[PROXYPER] Options for version 314?

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Mon Feb 14 09:49:20 EST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Phillip wrote:

> Before the last time (about a week or so ago), I had in place a sytem where
> I had feeder PProxies and I rotate the in buffers so there's no stale blocks.
> Of course, I can't speak for other people, but I'd personally prefer the idea
> of my clients' clients being able to flush their blocks in case of a prolonged
> problem with the main keyservers again.

Well, you still have not given a reasonable rationale for why flushing to
an empty proxy might be preferable, other than a personal preference.
One might argue that "distributed storage" (by allowing the clients to
continue to hold their work until they have a verified operational
upstream proxy) would even be more reliable, by eliminating single point
of failure.

In the design of clients and proxies, we definitely do have to take
certain general-purpose decisions that would generally be most applicable
for the average person, and cannot necessarily accomodate the personal
preferences of everyone.  Although it's definitely possible to provide
safe defaults and allow everything to be configured, but doing that
without end for every little detail will simply result in an even more
confusing program (for everyone) with a lot of superfluous propellerhead
switches.

Also, you probably do not notice the occasional times when single
fullservers (or small groups of them) get disconnected for extended
durations and only observe the times when more widespread disconnectivity
occurs, because of the operational functioning of the mechanisms I've
described.

Additionally, you may wish to consider enabling the expert buffer options
so that you can configure larger buffer thresholds on the proxy rather
than rotating buffers like you are doing.  (Or at least that might allow
you to reduce the number of buffers that you feel you must keep on hand.)
The automatic/expert buffer thresholds was another design choice made in
an attempt to simplify a complex aspect of proxy configuration.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net