[PROXYPER] Auto buffer sizes

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Tue Feb 29 12:49:24 EST 2000

If you read the readme, you'll see the existence of an expert mode option
that will disable the intelligence regarding the 1000 block threshold.
However, you should be cautious in using it since you will no longer be
protected from the safeguards that the limit attempts to protect you
against (unknowingly fetching more blocks than you actually require).

If the proxy is unable to allow you to surpass the 1000 block limit
normally, then it does not believe that your current rate would satisfy a
higher block limit.  If you see that your reported block rate displayed by
the proxy fluctuates greatly (perhaps due to irregular spurts in which
your clients flush large number of blocks), then consider either making
your clients flush more frequently.  You can also try adjusting the
sliding average window to encompass a larger time period, over which your
sustained rate might be more indicative of "typical" activity.  The last
resort is to disable the intelligence with the expert mode I described.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net