[PROXYPER] more than 1 Porxy in the .ini file?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 1 16:27:39 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 11:52:06AM -0800, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Thomas Drebert wrote:
>
> > I run the Proxy V313 on Windows NT 4.0 Sp5.
> > Can i put more than one Porxy in the proxy.ini file?
> > So the Porxy change if one Failure.
> >

> Not currently, although this is planned as a future enhancement.  In any
> case, it is highly recommended that you use the DNS records that we have
> in place, such as us.v27.distributed.net or euro.v27.distributed.net.
> Those records are ensured to have at least several servers available in
> them so your proxy will be able to rotate among all that there in case one
> is unreachable.  Of course, if you are unable to do DNS resolutions, your
> options are limited.

 Hmm, if you couldn't access a normal DNS server, maybe you could build
yourself a  hosts  file, like

10.0.0.1  us.v27.distributed.net
10.0.0.2  us.v27.distributed.net
10.0.0.3  us.v27.distributed.net
10.0.0.4  us.v27.distributed.net

(change the IP addrs to 4 good servers, and maybe use my.d.net.proxy instead
of us.v27.d.net)

 I don't use this myself, so you might have to figure out how to get it to
pick anything other than the first one.  On Linux (and some other unices,
IIRC), this means putting "multi on" in /etc/resolv.conf.  Windoze hopefully
returns multiple addrs for a lookup if there are multiple records in the
hosts file.  You should sort the entries in order of preference, since it
will probably use the first one every time, and only use the others if the
ones before fail.

This goes in c:\windows\hosts on Win9x (I have tried it on a win98 PC, and
it does work.  I was surprised, since I though hosts was a Unixism :), and
there's probably a place for it on NT.  If not, here's a nickel, get
yourself a real computer ;) <grin>

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/