[PROXYPER] more than 1 Porxy in the .ini file?

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Wed Mar 1 12:54:28 EST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:

> This goes in c:\windows\hosts on Win9x (I have tried it on a win98 PC, and
> it does work.  I was surprised, since I though hosts was a Unixism :), and
> there's probably a place for it on NT.  If not, here's a nickel, get
> yourself a real computer ;) <grin>

This is not an appropriate forum for platform advocacy, or slamming of
other environments that you choose not to have a preference for.  This
mailing list has remained unmoderated (while the main rc5@ list required
the introduction of moderation) for the reason that most of the users here
tended to have a higher level of self-control.

FWIW, Windows NT/2000 support hosts files that are placed within the
directory %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\.  Within that directory, you
should probably find a sample file (hosts.sam) demonstrating the syntax of
the file. I have not verified whether its implementation will accomodate
multiple IP addresses that map to the same hostname.  Note that
nslookup.exe is not always an accurate test of resolvability, since it
seems to generate raw DNS queries bypassing the normal socket resolution
flow control.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net