[PROXYPER] more than 1 Porxy in the .ini file?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 1 18:07:39 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 12:54:28PM -0800, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:
>
> > This goes in c:\windows\hosts on Win9x (I have tried it on a win98 PC, and
> > it does work.  I was surprised, since I though hosts was a Unixism :), and
> > there's probably a place for it on NT.  If not, here's a nickel, get
> > yourself a real computer ;) <grin>
> >

> This is not an appropriate forum for platform advocacy, or slamming of
> other environments that you choose not to have a preference for.  This
> mailing list has remained unmoderated (while the main rc5@ list required
> the introduction of moderation) for the reason that most of the users here
> tended to have a higher level of self-control.

 Sorry. I try not to bash people's choice of operating system, but I
sometimes throw in a little jab if they ask for help using windoze for
something that Unix is good at.  I did consider for half a minute whether I
should take it out or not, and I decided to leave it in with the smiley and
<grin>, so hopefully people would interpret it as a friendly poke in the
ribs, not just a you're-so-lame denouncement.  I guess I'll stop doing that,
though, since you guys have to draw the line somewhere, and I don't want to
get into judging what is fun / funny and what isn't.

> FWIW, Windows NT/2000 support hosts files that are placed within the
> directory %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\.  Within that directory, you
> should probably find a sample file (hosts.sam) demonstrating the syntax of
> the file. I have not verified whether its implementation will accomodate
> multiple IP addresses that map to the same hostname.  Note that
> nslookup.exe is not always an accurate test of resolvability, since it
> seems to generate raw DNS queries bypassing the normal socket resolution
> flow control.

 That's how nslookup on Unix works, too.  I usually use ping as a program
that uses the normal resolver, to check that I've got the whole system set
up to correctly return IP addresses to normal programs.  It seems that all
the DNS tools talk to the DNS directly or something instead of using
gethostbyname.  Hmm, I should write a wrapper around gethostbyname...

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net