[PROXYPER] Perproxy -> keyserver

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Sat Mar 18 15:27:21 EST 2000

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, DHS wrote:

>   I am also experiencing this activity when using the Dnetc round-robin dns
> (us.v27.distributed.net) to attach to a keyserver. The appearance to me is
> that either the DNS part is not working, or, the actual keyserver selected
> for me (that may be broken, offline, busy, overloaded, etc.) does not pass
> my request off properly to another keyserver in the mix. Then, once the
> proxy (v313) gets the IP for this server, it continues to go back to it
> continuously with each successive ctrl+break invocation. Could this be a
> PerProxy bug?

There is no "passing" that the downed servers need to do.  The DNS
resolution query for "us.v27.distributed.net" resolves to multiple hosts.
All DNS servers participating in the name resolution randomly reorder the
list of matching hosts, and additionally the proxy randomly picks one host
from the returned list and connects to it.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/  http://www.distributed.net/~bovine/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net