[PROXYPER] Deletion of Out Files

David Bolt rc5-5 at my-ste.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 17:18:41 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Jeff Lawson <jlawson at bovine.net> wrote:-

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Ray Booysen wrote:
>
>> I have been experiencing a problem with the personal proxy.  As soon
>> as the proxy is shutdown, it looses all its done packets.  I read the
>> log and as soon as it is shutdown and restarted, the done blocks
>> section drops to 0.
>
>Are you certain that the proxy has finished shutting down by itself before
>you shutdown/reboot your machine?  It's possible that it has not yet
>finished fully writing out its buffers.
>
>Is the size of the out buffer file significant?  The size should be
>roughly proportional to the amount of work it is storing.  Are you certain
>that you have not specified a custom path for your buffer files that are
>either invalid, or colliding with another buffer?

Another possibility is that there were more than one proxy running at
the same time and the out buffer was locked by one of the proxies.
Either way, the proxy that receives the blocks may not be able to write
them to the out buffer and they are discarded when the proxies are shut
down.

I've seen this before when I used to start my proxy and clients using a
cron-job. Occasionally the proxy would be started twice and I'd loose a
few hours work before noticing the error. Since making up a start-up
script so they both start at boot-time, and adding checks to ensure the
client/proxy isn't already active, I've not had this problem.

Regards,
  David Bolt

--
A3010 4Mb + A4000 4Mb RiscOS 3.11       |Member of the RC5 Team Acorn
AMD Duron/650 256Mb Win98               |cracking keys at 4.8Mkeys/sec
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net