[PROXYPER] Proxy setup

Stephen Berg sberg at pangaealink.com
Sun May 20 22:39:29 EDT 2001

I've read the readme and the FAQ-o-matic and still have a question about
personal proxy setup.  If I set up my .ini file to use port 80 along with
the normal port 2064 wouldn't this conflict if the machine in question is
already running a web server using port 80?

I sent the following email to the rc5 list and then realized it should
actually be on this list which I just subscribed to.

I have a proxy set up on a RH Linux system.  I'd like for it to answer
requests but right now it seems that when I try to do a fetch/flush from
my work computer it cannot connect.  The work computer is behind a
firewall/proxy.  I think the problem is the firewall and/or proxy at work
are not allowing the connection to port 2064 on my personal proxy machine.
I can't set the proxy machine to listen on port 80 because that will
interfere with a web server I'm running.

Is there an easy way to fix this?  I've browsed the FAQ-o-matic and
couldn't find anything that seemed appropriate to this problem.

One thought I had was to set up a virtual webserver on a high port number
like 8080 or something similar and set the proxy to handle things via
http.  Would that solve this problem?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe proxyper' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net